Thursday 1 March 2012

What happened to me.

Well, we are now a family of four.  Baby made his appearance last week but we only got home on Monday.  Baby is absolutely fine-it was me that was the problem.  After a pretty much textbook start it all went horribly wrong at the end.  Baby was born with me just on the old gas and air (love that stuff) and a bit of help with the ventouse.  Unfortunately I got a third degree tear-not that I can feel that now to be honest-and my blood pressure crashed through the floor.  I was in theatre for three hours with them trying to stabilise me. It was all very E.R.  I was conscious the whole time and very calm.  I remember asking lots of strange questions to the medical team-"Am I going to die?" "Am I going to be alright?" "Whose blood are you using?"-I ended up having three transfusions and staying in the high dependency unit.  I have to say the care I received was fantastic.  It all sounds very dramatic but all's well that ends well.  The midwife said it'll be a few months recovery for me but my baby boy is well worth it and I couldn't be happier!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the birth of your son honey- I had a similar experience that ended in forceps delivery and 4 transfusions, but you're right, they're totally worth it!
    He's 4 months now and I just about feel like myself again- good luck and take care!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie. Thanks for the congratulations. Sorry to hear you had such a rough time of it too but it's good to know you're not the only one!

      Delete
  2. HUGE congratulations! That's lovely news (apart from the ordeal).

    So glad you are happy despite what you went through and the care was good. Enjoy those first few weeks of bonding with your lovely son xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the congratulations. Hope your pregnancy is progressing well-can't be long now. x

      Delete
  3. OOh that sounds painful and very stressful! Congratulations though, it's all worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete